Saturday, March 14, 2009

Stupid Ebay! GRRRRRRRRRRR


I go to check on my Queen Anne's auction and it miraculously disappeared!
I get an email from Ebay saying....
Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because the following information violates our policy:
in title
Queen Anne Style


It is just so frustrating.
I've never had trouble using the word "style" before. I wonder if I should just put Queen Anne and leave out the style? Has anyone else
gone thru this? I'd love to hear about it and find out how you resolved?
Thanks so much for letting me vent.
I think I will just relist her tomorrow.
And I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused my bidders too :-(

I've relisted with my fingers crossed!!
Here she is (click here)

25 comments:

Once Upon A Blue Crow said...

What a shame. Who knows anymore what words are "allowed" and what ones aren't. As you suggested, I would just use Queen Anne. I used the phrase 'like new' one time and they yanked it too.
Good Luck!

Atticbabys said...

Thanks Kimmie! Sorry to hear this happened to you as well. I just emailed Ebay back and asked what they would "suggest" I use in title? I'll be reaally surprised if I hear back, but I'll let ya know!!
Nan

Susie McMahon said...

What an absolute PAIN! I knew there was a good reason why I have kept well away from eBay. Hope you sort it out soon. A precious Queen Anne STYLE doll, BTW!

Annie said...

thats awful!! I'm sorry your having trouble with ebay!
...She is a beautiful Doll!!
Annie

Atticbabys said...

Aw thanyou for being so sweet Susie and Annie! I'm feeling better all ready
hugs,
Nan

Old World Primitives said...

I was wondering where your beautiful doll had disappeared to! I think that eBay's reason for pulling her auction is absurd. I would just relist her as "Queen Anne doll."

Stephanie

clothnclay said...

Well, I disagree with eBay, your Queen Anne has LOTS of "style"! She a beauty! Becky

The Burlap Owl said...

I know how frustrated you are...Ebay has done that to me twice because of words in my template! They never give you a chance to remove it first...I don't list as much with them anymore because of their new rules...

Take Care,
Tina

Atticbabys said...

I feel so much better today... it really does help to know you're not alone.
Thankyou for your kind words of support Steph, Becky and Tina, and to all, I sincerely appreciate them!

anne said...

Hi Nancy,
Earlier this week I relisted my Queen Anne Style ad immediately after it was removed by Ebay for the same reasons as yours. You should reply to the "alert" they sent you and explain why you think it's unfair.I wrote them this letter:

"There are numerous buyers out there who are looking to buy Queen Anne wooden reproduction dolls. It would be unfair to them if doll artists are no longer allowed to use this term in their titles.
Besides I should think under such strict guidelines Ebay must also disallow the names Bru, Jumeau and other famous name dolls in the titles of sellers making reproductions of those dolls.
In no way do I wish to mislead or confuse potential buyers. I honestly would like to know how Ebay would like me to market my doll if I am not allowed to call it by it's name."

My letter was answered by an ebay representative who said he would forward the issue on up. My new ad has not yet been removed. I suggest you write Ebay a letter explaining why it's unfair for them to prevent you from using the words "Queen Anne" (not, by the way "style" or "type") in your description.

When you consider that authentic, antique Queen Annes are priceless it is unlikely too many Ebayers are seeking those. Thus it is ridiculous to prevent doll artist from using the term "Queen Anne" in their titles since most every collector is aware that it is highly unlikely they'll find an original listed at a starting price of $19.99.

I'm very sorry your ad was yanked.

Sincerely,

Anne Reiss-Zavacky
Ebay user ID Cameoqueen2000

Atticbabys said...

Thankyou so much for the info Anne!
Wow your Queen Anne is absolutely gorgeousl!!! I sure wish
I had a lathe like you!!!!

Ebay pulled your aucton also? Double GRRRR! I'ts not like we were being deceitful when
calling them a queen anne style. That is exactly what
they are! Are you sure it is not just the word style they
have a problem with? Hmm, now I'm even more bewildered!
Please let me know if you hear anything more from them?
I too replied to the alert as you did (but not as eloquently as yours)
and asked them to give me suggestions as to how to list this
STYLE doll . Haven't heard back yet, and if do not, I'm going to
relist and just leave out "style". We shall see!

Kipik said...

You had a great response, I'm glad! I think it's silly as well. I remember that they had a big problem with the words "Chanel style" originaly so ok, no brands... but a historical era??? That's crazy! and beyond that, the word "style" explains all by itself clearly that it is not an original, so where is the problem? ...Self righteousness is like a spooked horse It never knows how to stop...

Atticbabys said...

So very true!!! ;-)
Thanks alot for visiting Kipik!

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

I thought I was losing my mind when I couldn't find your listing the other day. Wow, what a ridiculous reason for them to pull it! Did they refund your money you paid to list it? What if you use the word 'reproduction'? I wonder how ebay even came to know about this unless some idiot complained.

Good to know now what NOT to say. I am so sorry for your trouble, I hope you have better luck from now on.

Atticbabys said...

Thankyou kindly dear Robin!
Nope, no refund, just kicked off with no warning. I emailed them back asking what wording I should use instead, but of course no response.
I too thought perhaps someone not so nice may have brought it to ebays attention, I sure hope not tho!
I've relisted her so we shall see!
Hugs,
Nan

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Arg! How frustrating.
But. . .
Swing by my blog to sign up for a giveaway! :)

Atticbabys said...

I'm all over it , thanks Cathy!
How adorable is that bluebird trinket box!!!!

Rachael Kinnison said...

Poor Nancy! This is the reason I no longer sell on eBay~ if there is a single person who is jelous** of your work~ they can report for nearly ANY reason what so ever....and eBay will wipe the auction OUT no questions asked....no record of it anyplace ever!! And do they refund your money????nope~ you will never get a reply from them....in this day and age of EVIL~BAY....the customer is AWLAYS right. "Someone" turned in an auction of mine last year~ I thought all went well~ I was happy ....BUYER was happy.....until about 2 weeks AFTER the auction ended, ebAy informed me that the auction had been turned in as phony, and that I had bid against MYSELF and never actually sold the doll! HOW REDICULOUS! They didnt ASK ME anything~ they informed me that my seller account was suspended, and told me all the eBay "classes" that not only ME< but all my BIDDERS had to take~ before we would be allowed on eBAy again in the future~and THIS is how they treat me, a seller in excellent standing for over 10 YEARS with not one problem.....see how angry Im getting just thinking about it~ and it turns out, of coarse there was NO merit to the acusations made against me~ but do I get an ~IM sorry??? or will they tell me who turned in my auction???? NO! I jumped thru their hoops, but ONLY so I could bid again~ I dont sell on there anymore. I could go on and on and on.........good Luck! I would list your dolly as QUEEN ANNE REPRODUCTION
xoxoxox rachael

Atticbabys said...

Wow Rachel!!! What a nightmare! I can see why you would be so upset!! I really appreciate you sharing your story , Thankyou sweety!

xoxoxoxo,
Nan

Dixie Sargent Redmond said...

I hate when I go on Ebay after one of my auctions has ended and see all kinds of links to other off Ebay sites.

Dixie

anne said...

Hi Nan,
Well I finally got a reply back from Ebay. Here it is:


>
> "Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your removed listing (EARLY
>
> QUEEN ANNE TYPE WOODEN DOLL GLASS EYES 18 INCHES Item #120390490926).
>
>
>
> First, I would like to apologize for the delay in replying to your
>
> email. Nonetheless, you are a valued member of the eBay community and I
>
> would like the opportunity to address your concerns.
>
>
>
> Please be aware that the listing title is reserved only for the actual
>
> brand name of the item being offered, Since Queen Anne is a specific
>
> type of doll it still creates a negative search result for the actual
>
> Queen Anne dolls.
>
>
>
> You may still mention "Queen Anne Style" but only in the description
>
> part of your listing and you must accurately state or describe it as a
>
> wooden reproduction of a Queen Anne doll.
>
>
>
> If you've removed all elements that aren't permitted and checked to make
>
> sure your listing complies with eBay listing policies, you shouldn't
>
> have any problem re listing your item.
>
>
>
> Anne, I would also like to inform you that all fees associated with a
>
> listing we remove are credited back to your account. You should already
>
> see this credit reflected in your account balance."

And here is my reply to them:

"Dear Manny,

Thank you for replying.

However I still do not understand Ebay's objections to using the term "Queen Anne" style doll for any doll made in the manner of an original, authentic early English doll of this type.

The term "Queen Anne" is used extensively for a style of furniture. Does Ebay object to a seller using the term "Queen Anne" style in their titles to describe reproduction furniture?. Why then the objection to using it to describe a doll?

As far as actual antique Queen Anne Dolls from the 18th Century, there are only about 40 of them known to be in existence and most of them are in museums. It is thus highly unlikely that a listing for such a doll will be found on Ebay and just as unlikely that buyers will be searching for those dolls. There is therefore little chance of causing a "negative search result" since no such search is likely to take place. Any buyer out there who hopes to find an original antique Queen Anne Style wooden doll on Ebay with a starting price of $100 is probably accessing Ebay from a computer in the community room of a psychiatric ward.


Thank you for crediting my fees however I'm far less concerned with pocket change than I am in getting this issue straightened out. I hope the people at Ebay will take a closer look at this restriction being placed on sellers of antique reproduction Queen Annes.

I look forward to your reply."

We'll see if they write me back.

Atticbabys said...

Great news Anne! And great job!
I'm going to email you,

anne said...

Hi Nan,
I hope they answer but I'm not counting on it. I don't think I'll use the term "Queen Anne" in titles until I hear back from them that they're okay with it. When in Rome do as the Romans. I'll maybe instead use the term "Early English Wooden Doll". I honestly think the people who buy these dolls are less interested in what they're called than their beauty. In any case if they do write back I'll post to your blog.
This all may be a blessing in disguise. After all I got to know you better. It's not often I make an internet friend.

Sincerely,

Anne

anne said...

Thanks for looking Nan and thank you for the kind words. The acid test will be, of course, Ebay. I'll list her tomorrow or in the next couple of days. Haven't heard back from the powers-that-be so I guess I'll call her an "Early English Wooden" or somesuch.

Sincerely,


Anne

canngil said...

Wonder if you could avoid their filtering programs by listing them as
"queenanne"?